Can woman divorce a man

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)

One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

 assalamualaikum brother
my aunt is married about 10years back to a man who is a phycological patient. he keeps doubting my an extent that he doubted on my aunt's own nephew whom she has brought up. he keeps tourturing my aunt regarding same matter that she has affair and she isnt a good woman. .for the same reason twice she has attempted to divorce him...but later she felt pity on him and went back..aunt doesnt have parents..brothers are settled apart and presently he is has gone abroad and working but never sends her her livelyhood...she stays in her sisters houses..and mentally tortures her by saying she is not good woman(uses lot of vulgur languages) to make sure wher she is he keeps calling her nephews brother in laws.. but she always feel pity, sympathy.. recently she has told sisters that she caanot live with that man anymore , she wants to separate..she never liked to divorce him...but she has no other option he never accepts the divorce..he acts as though he loves her lot but meanwhile he says if she separates he wont let her have peacefull life...can we forciblly divorce him? or is there any other way to come out of him? 

(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)


In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.

If your aunt is unhappy in the marriage and she does not receive any financial upkeep amount from her husband, and he does not respect her, then she is within her rights to demand a divorce, failing which she can initiate a khula and divorce him. If the husband is guilty of not fulfilling his role as the earner and provider then what kind of a husband is he? That is a basic duty and requirement of the man of the house.

Get your aunt to go to the local Kazi and apply for a khula. She should be firm in her decision as otherwise it will end up as a joke. She cannot feel pity etc., after applying for a khula. She should think clearly, take proper advice from her family and then only go for it. There will be no sin attached to her if she applies for a khula if what you have narrated is true.


Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Your brother and well wisher in Islam,

Members of Islamhelpline

Privacy  |  About Wister

Copyright © 2024 Wister All rights reserved